Friday, May 30, 2008

Transparent Teaching and The Glassine Surfer

net-efekt on flickr, cc license
I am teaching a new course through the University of Oregon this summer and need your input on the syllabus (pdf). If you are willing to critique, please let me know and I'll invite you to collaborate on a google doc.
**Update** I just created this course flyer (pdf), gives a good overview**
The course focuses on constructivist pedagogy underlying project-based learning, practical instructional design methods, and processes for implementing and evaluating projects. Most time will be spent in collaborative activity in which teachers plan quality projects they'll use right away. Along the way we use about twenty digital apps. We end the course with a 'critical friends' review and celebration. (I'll try to video stream the event.)

I'm operating from the belief that we can become great project teachers faster if we have the opportunity to learn in project mode ourselves. We will have a project strand called The Glassine Surfer (look it up) where we get busy as students would with a class project. On the surface it looks like a project on postage stamps but deep down it's about communication, culture, economics, and change over time.
-Jane Krauss
Please help me make this class great! Request an invitation to the google doc!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jane, I would like to be included if possible and if I qualify. thank you for the opportunity. My email is lmmaine@gmail.com.

Jane Krauss said...

Absolutely! I'm inviting you now.
Jane

Shelley said...

Your request that we invite ourselves reminds me a little of those moments in the third grade when you and your best friend would discuss who should be inviting who over for dinner that night.

Open to your invitation. :-D

shelleyq (at) yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Love to take part in this ...

Jane Krauss said...

Shelley - I've invited you.

Dean - Please send me an email at jane.krauss(at)gmail.com so I can invite you.

Michael M. Grant said...

Sounds like great fun to collaborate...

Anonymous said...

Would also like to be invited. Sounds like a great course. Don't live near enough to take the whole thing. Would the Take Action Project blog, website and experience (aka a visit to your class) be useful - a very adaptable approach that can work in a traditional school schedule. Let me know if interested. Willing to come up for a Tue and/or Thur. within the course. Sue